Friday, July 11, 2008

Random rant

Have you guys ever seen those scenes in the movies where one of the characters gets:-

(A) knocked down by a car/truck/passing vehicle
(B) falls down a flight of stairs
(C) gets hit by something (a shovel, a sledge hammer, anything that induces serious pain)

and after all that, that very same character gets up and screams "I'm OKAY".

Now today's post is about how annoyed I am with this, apparently, humorous scenes in the movies. Look, the guy just got introduced to some serious physical damage. To stand up immediately and say he's okay is, well, funny to me. Seriously. Funny for the first time, yes. Maybe a second time or a third time. But by the 28th time, I wish I had contracted cancer instead.

I don't know how it got into the heads of directors/script writers that such a scene would still be funny after it's been used in almost every movie out there, in particularly, comedies. The act is old and overused. It isn't even funny anymore. Have Americans no more ideas how to make their comedies funny anymore? I swear to god, everytime I watch a comedy, and there's a scene where someone gets hurt, I will be praying so hard and will be tempted to sacrifice virgins just so that that someone wouldn't get up and tell us that he/she's okay. You got knocked down by a freaking truck. Please just fucking die. Seriously.

It is like that scene I complained about in my post about the Transformers movie. You know, about how the robots got to fighting with each other in front of some kid and instead of running away, he just sat there, watched the scene and turned to the camera and screamed COOL. Almost every action movie tries to induce some sense of comedy by having some kid scream cool in front of a fight scene/gun fight/whatever. If I were a 5 year old and I were somehow or rather thrown into a middle of a robot fight, I'd run away. Far away. While screaming for my mum.

So directors and script writers of the world, please, if you're reading this, just do away with that I'm OKAY and COOL scene. That 5 minutes can be replaced with something else, or even better, guess what, just snip the bloody 5 minutes off your film and save us a trip to the restroom or a trip to the hospital because of the mental trauma.

One other quick rant I just want to put up is about the lack of movie previews in cinemas these days. I don't know about other countries but GSC tends to assume that cinema patrons prefer to watch advertisements about beer and Celcom's X-pax. GSC, please, for the love of god, put back the previews. I don't want to know who gives me the best coverage and the best deals because I couldn't care less. I know Celcom pays you to put up those adverts. I will hereby promise to pay you full price for your movie tickets so that you can pull down Celcom's adverts. And it has nothing to do with the fact that my student card expires in about a week's time. Haha

Anyway, guys, please enjoy this Nike advert, which was shown a couple of times in the cinemas. One of the best adverts in my humble opinion. And only because I love football.


No comments: